Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year's Day

So for New Year's Day, the Man was over and so was a friend of ours from Connecticut. She has a major gluten sensitivity so when we were deciding what we wanted to have for dinner the Man said he wanted potatoes and pot roast. I have never made pot roast so I went to allrecipes.com and found this recipe for apple flavored pot roast. I like red meat and so does the Man so he went off to the store to get what we needed while I did the hostess thing and entertained our guest. 

Once he got back, I gathered up what it said I needed. 






Then it was time to start following the recipe a bit. I pre-heated the oven to 325 F. And I started to prep the food. It said to put half an inch of water into the pan and then add the thawed apple juice concentrate. The soy sauce is drizzled over the pot roast. It called for slicing slits in the pot roast and pushing garlic into them. It was a 3 pound pot roast. I did not have fresh garlic so used the minced garlic in water that I use in most things I cook. 




The next step was to season it with the contents of package of dry onion soup mix. I rubbed this on the pot roast as well as added some oregano, white pepper and black pepper. These are standard spices for me.




The next step is to cover it with aluminum foil and place it in the preheated oven. You are supposed to let it cook for two hours at this point. After two hours you are supposed to take it out and add potatoes and carrots. 


And then it goes back into the oven for another two hours. And then it is all done. The end result was a bit too well-done for my liking. Next time I make it I think I will cut the cooking time by a bit (maybe 45 minutes). I am also thinking it would taste really good with wine or apple cider as the liquid. 




It was a very good dinner all in all. I made mashed potatoes and gravy to go with it. It was a lovely way to ring in the New Year.

And yes, the date function on the camera has the wrong date on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment