Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Zagat Food Truck Frenzy!

So I had a ticket for the Zagat Food Truck Frenzy which was origianally scheduled for last Thursday. However, the non-stop rain in the city had them re-schedule it for yesterday. It was unfortunate that it was still rainy and icky. I did not let that deter me thouhgh. I went armed with two friends, my friend Susan and the boyfriend's mom.

They gave you a pass to the event with four little tickets to tear out and pay with at the food trucks. 
The people at Zagat did a great job getting some of the best trucks in the city to participate. The must-try trucks on my list and that of my cohorts included Luke's Lobster Truck, Korilla BBQ truck and Big Gay Ice Cream Truck.

The trucks had all preselected either one item or a choice of items for people to sample. At Luke's Lobster the offering was either lobster roll or shrimp roll.

My mini lobster roll!! Isn't it pretty! It was small but full of lobster meat. It was delicious!

     
Susan chowing down!        

We later heard that they ran out of lobster very quickly at the truck. While waiting on line for the BGICT we heard the people at Luke's Lobsetr say that they had made 300 rolls before running out of lobster. That is a lot of happy tastebuds!

The next stop was Korilla BBQ. The people on this truck had an amazing amount of character and personality! They were a joy to talk to! One made fun of the Boston hat which made me giggle since I am a born and breed NY-er.
I loved the brightly decorated truck!!

The line for Korilla!


And when my beef taco was done I got asked if I wanted them to "chef it up!". I was so excited to see what this entails and loved their enthusiasim that I could not help but say yes. The problem ended up being that it was much more spicy than I would have wanted, however, it was delicious!
This is my beef taco and a pork taco. I do not usually eat pork so the beef was a great option for me. The put kimchi and korilla sauce and made it nice and spicy!


The next truck had my group split up. I went off with the boyfriend's mom in search of spicy chicken tacos and dumplings while Susan went to get pork chops with pork sauce. Her pork chops came from Bian  Dang truck. The spicy chicken taco and dumplings came from Big D's Grub Truck.
Big D's Grub Truck

Susan's pork chop in pork sauce. She ate half of it before I could get my camera near it. Shame! She also drowned it in hot sauce too! She likes the spice!!
Spicy chicken dumplings. The sauce is spicy mayo which was mayo mixed with siriracha. It was delicious and the mayo was just enough to cut the spice down to a manageable level for me.

The spicy chicken taco.

The best part of the day and the part I had been looking forward to for the longest time- Big Gay Ice Cream Truck!! I have been in love with their menu and have never gotten the chance to try it. I was very much looking forward to trying the Salty Pimp but they were not offering it so I tried the Bea Arthur instead (which would have been my second choice anyway).



I will agree with this award after my ice cream!



Bea Arthur - Vanilla soft serve with dulce de leche and rolled in crushed nilla wafers!






I figured if I put up pictures of friends I should put my face up here too!!

 All in all, it was a delicious day of trying new food and finding some new favorites. The boyfriend has been wanting to go to Luke's Lobster for the longest time and after this excursion I confidently told him I would not mind going or spending the money (we budget a lot) after the experience I had with them here. It also makes me look forward to using the Groupon I got for the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck sometime this summer!!



I also want to say that everyone was rather patient as I tried to capture all these pictures! So big thanks!!


Disclosure: I was not given a ticket for free or compensated in any way for the review here. My ticket was procured during the discount pre-sales that were open to anyone in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment