Sunday, May 29, 2011

First Yoga Class! And it was Outside!!

So as you know, I have been trying to get in better shape slowly and work on making numerous healthy lifestyle changes. I have heard amazing things about yoga and its numerous benefits. However, being on the budget that I am on lately, it is not something I can run to a studio and do.

Lululemon to the rescue! I have looked at their clothing and lusted after it for a long time. I read that they were hosting free yoga classes in Bryant Park during the summer. I convinced a friend to come along with me since I did not want to be the only one falling down and only getting halfway into the poses.

I loved the class!! It was so nice and relaxing to stretch and be outside with so many other people who wanted to do something good for themselves. We arrived approximately thirty minutes early and set up our mats in the third row. (Lululemon provides mats but we both brought our own because we didn't know how many would be available. It turns out that there are plenty of mats provided!)

The instructor was Matt Giordano. He also teaches at Pure Yoga and gave out free passes after class (I can NOT wait to try Pure Yoga!). He is also a Lululemon ambassador at the Lincoln Square store.

This class was very relaxed. I think he did a great job keeping the pace slow enough for a beginner. I had to look at the people in front of me a couple of times since the class size is so large I could not always see him perfectly. However, I never felt lost during the class. If I was a more experienced practitioner I am sure I would not have needed to check my form against a neighbor.

Being able to focus on doing something so good for me on so many levels in the middle of the best city in the world really gave me a lot to think about. I want to thank Lululemon for offering their free classes. You provided me a chance to engage in an activity that I have realized I love. Additionally, after the class, my knee felt unbelieveably lose and relaxed. It also felt stronger and more flexible than it has in a long time. I also want to thank the team of people who were there helping to organize it. It was such a contrast to put the calm of the yoga practice in an oasis of green with all the skyscrapers and city sounds very much present.

What I was entertained by was the number of people who sat and watched the class. There were tourists taking pictures and a lot of people staring. I normally am very self-conscious when stuff like that occurs since I am still in the beginning of my weight lost journey. However, I felt rather relaxed when I saw it happening. I was doing something good for me and taking steps towards being a healthier individual- there is no shame in that!

Lululemon- I will most definitely be back quite a few times during the summer for this WONDERFUL experience - thank you from the bottom of my heart for making these classes accessible to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment